Education and Outreach
Alongside our stunning concerts, Absolute Classics works throughout Dumfries and Galloway to bring new, exciting and innovative educational opportunities for local young people.
Our Education and Outreach programmes to date have been a huge success where we have provided opportunities for over 1000 under 26’s each year through a range of activities including: 1-2-1 tuition for young musicians with internationally renowned artists, group workshops and performances in local primary and secondary schools, intensive professional residencies and composition projects that focus on writing music for interactive media such as video games, film and animations. These students’ composition pieces are exceptional! Please follow this link to SoundCloud to hear their work.
For our Education and Outreach projects throughout 2018 and into 2019, we are building on what we have achieved so far and here is what’s coming up….
- A week-long course in video games composition, audio production and integration that will take place at The Stove in central Dumfries between 16th and 20th July.
- Traineeships throughout 2018 where local young people will have the opportunity to be mentored by and shadow our range of creative and technical professionals to gain skills in developing and delivering youth music activities.
- 1-2-1 Masterclasses with the international visiting musicians during our August 2018 festival.
- A Mental Health Awareness Workshop for young people called Creating Stories Through Soundscapes that uses music and sound to explore personal mental fitness, which will be part of the Edinburgh’s Fringe Central Events Programme on 21st August at Fringe Central.
- Workshops and performances in primary and secondary schools across the region with a range of different musicians throughout the 2018/19 academic year. Please follow this link to see an example of this work in a video of the legendary Rhys Matthews providing a Samba workshop for pupils at Kirkcudbright.
- An innovative and interactive games music concert experience called IMMERSE that will showcase the young people’s compositions from all our Education and Outreach projects, performed by the Tinderbox Orchestra in the heart of Glasgow at the Centre for Contemporary Art on Sunday, 11th November. More details and tickets will be available soon from our dedicated IMMERSE webpage.
For more details or to take part in any of our Education and Outreach Programme activities, please email our Education Coordinator – Narelle Freeman at email@example.com.
We have ambitions to deliver the benefits of our Education and Outreach Programme for many more young people living in remote communities throughout Dumfries and Galloway, regardless of the equipment available locally. But to achieve this, we need mobile technology. If you are able to support us, even in the smallest way, it will make an enormous difference in how many remote young people we can reach. You can support our Education and Outreach activities directly through Just Giving via the button below or by text – DGYP77 £10 to 70070. Our current campaign is to be able to provide Mental Health Awareness workshops within schools across D&G, however the investment in mobile technology will enable us to deliver more of all our innovative youth-led projects into the most remote areas of the region.